Friday, February 7, 2020

"Small Moves, Ellie..."

For those not in the know, that's a line from the 1997 Robert Zemeckis film, starring Jodie Foster -- Contact.

For my purposes, I'll borrow the line and apply it to this particular thought (or thoughts) about my continued goals at self-improvement, which is indeed the overall notion for "Cheap Therapy".

A few things of the past many months, which I feel are movements (no matter how minute) toward a better me.

The other half and I have always been cereal-eaters.  Cereal for breakfast, afternoon snacks and sometimes as a full meal.  Not each and every day mind you, but there has never been a shortage of Trix, Raisin Bran (I always preferred Kellogg's), Corn Pops or any number of other sweetened, super-sweetened, or pretend-to-be-good for you cereals.

If there were a deal at the supermarket, you can bet that we'd stock up.  But knowing that while some of these cereals may have a few benefits (fiber, some protein, etc.), it's just basically sugar and lots of carbs.  And carbs translate to sugar (certainly in my body).

And as a nutritionist and my primary care doctor stated, "read the total carbs on the labels, NOT the sugar."  And thus, that's been my way for a great many years -- carbs, not the sugar.

Anyway, about a month ago, we discontinued cereal in our shopping.  It's not in our home anymore.  We do still have oatmeal on hand (mostly for the other half), which is just as bad (I'm told by my doctor) as dry cereal.  But no more cereal.  Done.  And I don't really miss it.

Of course, I've not completely removed sweets from my diet (or my cupboards), but I will chalk the now-absence of Cookie Crisp and the like from my life, as an absolute win... especially considering that I've been eating cereal since early childhood.  It was a staple, but no longer.  Completely ingrained (grains, like cereal, get it?) in my food being.

Small moves...

I've also taken to mostly avoiding the "almost expired bakery" rack at our local supermarket.  You all know this one -- the rack off to the side, where breads and donuts and croissants which are just on the verge of "expiration" are housed, awaiting some carb-hungry customer to come by and rescue them.

I do still eat bread, and will check this rack for deals, but I've stopped (about the same time as the cereal blockades) looking at those delicious donut gems or chocolate-covered, plain and powdered sugar donut variety packs.  And what a bargain!  Sometimes for under a buck!  But no more.  Not doing it.  And hopefully this will stick.  I don't need them, they're poisonous.  And if I want to work harder to get that six pack -- these are off the menu.

Small moves...

Finally, to close out this particular series of observations, I've also moved up my abs/crunches/sit-ups to a daily exercise.

When I first started working out regularly, over 18 months ago, I was doing the Beach Body / Power 90 DVD.  And on that regiment, you would do abs every other day, on the same day you would do your cardio.  Per the video, you started out with 100 crunches every other day.

As time went on, I moved up to 200 crunches every other day.  Then up to 300 every other day... And then on to a daunting 400 crunches every other day.

Well, I'm happy to report that over the past several weeks (coinciding with my now regular hikes up to Runyon Canyon), I am doing 400 crunches EVERY SINGLE DAY.  So when I do my cardio (or Runyon) and then on the opposite days, my free weights -- they're all followed up with these 400 crunches.

I've been told that if you don't let the abs workout sit for a day, that they become less effective, a daily exercise, I mean.  Who knows?  But I'm doing them daily now, come hell or highwater.

None of this is life-changing of course, or monumental in some "I'm healthy and will live forever" sort of way.  But these small changes and incremental adjustments (these "small moves") will only up my game and eventually make a difference.

So we'll continue to see how my daily eating and exercise routines continue to evolve.  Perhaps we'll move up to 500 crunches (more likely 450 at first) daily.

Bottom line:  I'm not allowing myself to remain stagnant in my bids to better my body and mind (via diet and exercise).  And even "small moves" are movements up, nonetheless.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment